Most people could benefit from financial advice but, in many cases, they simply don’t know where to go to get sound advice and they don’t want to find themselves in the middle of a sales pitch. Look no further than the free 2016 Alabama Money Expo being held on Saturday, March 5th at Carver High School in Birmingham, Alabama. If you have financial questions this is a great place to get answers (no sales pitches!) on just about any topic. Financial Education Outreach, a non-profit organization, is bringing in financial experts across a wide variety of financial topics. There’s something for everyone plus world-class entertainment. Here are some of the highlights of the event:
- One-on-one financial advice. You’ll be able to sit down with a Certified Financial Planner® professional and get advice about your most important concerns. Be sure to bring any documents you’d like to discuss. Due to limited space, you’ll want to pre-register for these one-on-one sessions at AlMoneyExpo.com.
- College and youth zone. Alabama college students leave millions in grant money unclaimed every year. There will be experts available to help you get your fair share of this free college money (FAFSA- Free Application for Federal Student Aid). For middle and high school students, there are the ‘Money Smart’ and ‘Teens & Money’ classes that teach youth how to become masters of money! There will also be a college financial aid administrator on hand to help high school students with career and education planning.
- Reality Check! Wait! You mean money doesn’t grow on trees?! ACES Reality Check is a financial education simulation that allows youth to experience the realities of budgeting in an interactive and fun way. This real life simulation teaches youth the basics of money management and the benefits of making wise financial choices.
- Parents track. Come learn how to navigate college financial aid along with strategies for ‘finding the money’! There are also classes on ‘Teens & Money for Parent’s; money-saving ideas for insurance and risk management; investment basics; tax planning and strategies and much more!
- Basic workshops. There will be a series of speakers on a variety of topics including: things to consider before buying a car; planning for long-term care; Social Security strategies; and credit and budgeting strategies.
- Advanced workshops. I’ll speak on “How to Invest $100 (or more) and Create a SUPER-FANTASTIC Retirement”. Other experts will lead classes on why you need a will and what it should say; tax planning strategies; and how to be a smart investor.
- From the nationally acclaimed TV show, America’s Got Talent, Hart Keene will amaze you with his magic show during the noon hour. You’ll also have the opportunity to have a conversation with Ben Franklin (better than the Elvis impersonator!) before he engages in a full session just for middle school students.
- Document shredder service. It’s vitally important to destroy personal documents that thieves could use to steal your identity. Gone for Good Document Destruction (a service of United Cerebral Palsy) will be at the event from 9:00a–12:00p to shred your documents.
- Improve your credit score. The BB&T bank bus will be there to pull your credit report for free. You’ll also receive advice on budgeting, credit counseling and tips on improving your credit score. This is all part of the Free Credit Café.
- One-on-one tax preparation. There will be volunteer tax preparers on-site ready to answer your tax-related questions or to help you complete and file your tax return.
- There will be a number of exhibitors there to help you. Three examples include Birmingham Public Library with ideas for using the library as a resource to help you ‘Grow Your Money’; Alabama Securities Commission to help you avoid becoming a victim of fraud; and Alabama Saves to help you start small but think big about your savings goals.
You can register for this free event or get more information at www.ALMoneyExpo.com. Registration is not required but workshops and one-on-one sessions fill up quickly so I highly encourage you to register right now!