Hugh Smith brings nearly 30 years of business experience to The Welch Group. He is a Member in the firm and serves as Chief Investment Officer and Chairman of the Investment Committee. Hugh developed the analysis tools the firm uses to perform its wealth management services, including the firm’s proprietary wealth management index. Hugh also partnered with the Founder and the Investment Committee to develop the firm’s proprietary dividend stock portfolio, tactical investment strategy, and fundamental index equity portfolio.
Prior to joining The Welch Group, Hugh was the Chief Financial Officer and part-owner of a closely held business for five years. Before that, he worked in the Birmingham office of Arthur Andersen for nine years. Hugh has been quoted in top financial periodicals such as Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, Wall Street Journal, and Money Magazine, and has appeared on local Fox 6 News.
When not working or reading financial news, Hugh enjoys time with his family and outdoor activities.
• Bachelor of Science in Accounting, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
• CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner
• Chartered Financial Analyst®
• Certified Public Accountant
• Chartered Financial Analyst Institute
• Chartered Financial Analyst Society of Alabama
• American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• Estate Planning Council of Birmingham
• Financial Planning Association of North Alabama
• Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
• Boy Scouts of America, Troop 28, Troop Committee